Emergency Ride Home – Redmond
You know ridesharing is a great way to save money while going green but you wonder what happens if you can’t catch a rideshare home or if you have to leave early in case of an emergency?
That’s why we’ve created the Redmond Real-Time Rideshare – Emergency Ride Home (ERH) program. iCarpool users who are part of the “Redmond Real-Time Rideshare with iCarpool” network on RideshareOnline.com and register for the networks’ Emergency Ride Home Program are eligible for eight free rides home each year in cases where an iCarpool rideshare is not available when you are heading home from work and for qualified emergencies. You can rest easy knowing we’ll get you home on any day that you ride in an iCarpool rideshare.
When can you take an Emergency Ride Home?
If you came to work by iCarpool rideshare AND you are in one of the following situations:
- You become injured or ill, have a school/child-care emergency, or you or a family member experience a severe crisis while you are at work.
- You are stranded at work because there are no iCarpool trips available for your home-bound trip. This might include situations where you are unexpectedly asked by a supervisor to work past the end of your regular work hours.
How does it work?
You’ll be provided with up to 8 promo codes/year that you can use to pay for Uber or Lyft rides in case of emergency or when you can’t find an iCarpool rideshare return trip home.
You’ll receive one code at a time. Once you use your first code you’ll need to request another code as soon as possible through your RideshareOnline.com account. You’ll need to provide a brief description of the date and nature of your emergency when you used your LAST code.
Emergency Ride Home trips must originate in Southeast Redmond or Willows Road. You must have taken an iCarpool rideshare trip on the same day of your Emergency Ride Home.
You’ll arrange your own ride through your personal Uber or Lyft accounts. You’ll use the ERH promo code to pay for rides up to 60 miles or $100. If your ride exceeds this amount you’ll be required to pay the difference.
Emergency Ride Home promo codes do not pay for tips. If you choose to tip, you may do so with your own credit card.
More about the program
All Redmond Real-Time Rideshare participants can enroll in the Emergency Ride Home program if they meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Register with both iCarpool and RideshareOnline.com. Your accounts must be linked (do this through your RideshareOnline.com profile page).
- Enroll in the Emergency Ride Home module in RideshareOnline.com.
- Read and agree to the Program Guidelines.
- Use iCarpool as a rider.
- Live or work in Southeast Redmond or Willows Road areas.
Your Emergency Ride Home must originate within Southeast Redmond or Willows Road. You can take an Emergency Ride Home to the following destinations:
- Your home
- The place you left your vehicle (such as a Park & Ride)
- Any medical facility
- Your child’s school or childcare facility
*You may pick up a family member along the way to one of these destinations.
- Link your iCarpool and RideshareOnline.com accounts to automatically track your real-time rideshare trips. In RideshareOnline.com select “Profile” and then “My Account.” In the bottom right select “Link Accounts” and follow the prompts.
- Download the Uber and/or Lyft app(s). Create Uber and/or Lyft account(s) using your own credit card.
- Enroll with the Emergency Ride Home module in RideshareOnline.com. Please indicate if you prefer Uber or Lyft and request your first promo code.
- Save your promo codes in your email, on your smartphone, or in your wallet so that it is easily accessible in an emergency. Do not upload it to your Uber or Lyft account until you are ready to use it.
- First attempt to find an iCarpool ride using the iCarpool app.
- If there are no iCarpool rides, hail a ride using your Uber or Lyft app.
- Using the Uber or Lyft app, “pay” for the ride using your ERH promo code. If the trip exceeds $100 or 60 miles, pay the difference with your credit card through your Uber or Lyft account.
- At the conclusion of the Uber or Lyft ride, you may have the option to tip the driver using your own money.
- Once you have used the Uber or Lyft promo code, you must request your next promo code through RideshareOnline.com. You will need to indicate the date you used your previous promo code and the nature of the emergency to qualify to receive a new promo code.
- When you used any non-iCarpool mode of transport for your in-bound trip.
- When your car is in the shop, not working.
- When you missed your bus or train.
- When your vehicle stopped running due to weather or car crash.
- When you have personal errands.
- When you have a planned medical or other appointment.
- When you have business-related travel (i.e., going to meetings).
- When you work late without a supervisor’s request.
- When you planned to work late or planned to work overtime (i.e., you knew of the fact that you had to work late before you came to work).
- Early dismissal from work or office closure.
- Region-wide weather emergencies that cause roads to be impassable.
Redmond Real-Time Rideshare Emergency Ride Home promo codes may only be used on days when you used iCarpool rideshare for your trip to work. You may only use your promo codes for a qualifying emergency or when there is no iCarpool ridematch available for your return trip. Program administrators will audit user’s RideshareOnline calendar to ensure that promo codes are used appropriately.
Failure to follow program rules may result in termination from the program.
By linking your iCarpool account to RideshareOnline.com, you acknowledge that your trips will be automatically recorded on your RidehsareOnline.com calendar which can be viewed by the program administrator. The program administrator will review this information for the purposes of monitoring appropriate use of Emergency Ride Home promo codes.
- User: Any individual who fits all of the following criteria:
- Lives or works in the Southeast Redmond or Willows Road areas.
- Uses the iCarpool ridematching app as a rider.
- Registered for RideshareOnline.com.
- Member of the Redmond Real-Time Rideshare with iCarpool network.
- Has linked their iCarpool account to their RideshareOnline.com account.
- Has enrolled in the Emergency Ride Home module in RideshareOnline.com.
- Administrator: Employee granted administrator access to the Redmond Real-Time Rideshare with iCarpool network on RideshareOnline.com and tasked with enrolling users, distributing codes, tracking codes, auditing use, and reporting on the ERH program.
- RideshareOnline.com: Online TDM portal providing ridematching service, mode share calendaring service, incentives, Emergency Ride Home enrollment and other commute trip reduction services. Owned by Washington State Department of Transportation, managed by King County Metro, and developed by the Interact Soft, Inc.
- iCarpool: A mobile web application providing real-time ridematching services to registered users. Owned and developed by the ICarpool Corporation.
- Rideshare: An arrangement between two or more people to share the expense of a private vehicle trip. Drivers are not paid for their time but riders may contribute to the cost of operating the vehicle.
- Ridematch: A driver and one or more riders taking the same route at the same time who could potentially rideshare together.
- Emergency Ride Home (ERH): Free ride home (or to a medical, childcare, or school facility) for iCarpool riders, provided by a Transportation Network Company service in case of qualified emergency or any situation where the user cannot find an iCarpool ridematch for their return trip.
- Qualified Emergency: Urgent situation requiring a user to leave work mid-day to attend to one of the following situations:
- Medical emergency (user or user’s family)
- School or childcare emergency (user’s children)
- Serious personal crisis (user or user’s family)
- Transportation Network Corporation (TNC): A company that uses an online-enabled platform to connect passengers with drivers using personal, non-commercial vehicles. Refers to Uber and Lyft services.
- ERH Promo Code: Credit with a TNC service which can be used by Redmond Real-Time Rideshare users to pay for a TNC ride home in case of a qualified emergency.
- The “Redmond Real-time Rideshare with iCarpool Emergency Ride Home” program is a component of the “Redmond Real-time Rideshare with iCarpool” campaign offered in Southeast Redmond and Willows Road through a partnership between King County Metro’s Alternative Services program and the City of Redmond from 2015 to 2017. The program provides registered users with 8 free rides home for use when they are unable to ride with iCarpool ridesharing or in the case of qualified emergencies.
- The intention of Redmond Real-time Rideshare with iCarpool Emergency Ride Home Program is to enable more individuals to participate in Redmond Real-time Rideshare with iCarpool by removing the risk of being stranded without a ride home.
- The Redmond Real-time Rideshare with iCarpool Emergency Ride Home Program is offered to qualified users to be used in case of qualified emergencies or when an iCarpool rideshare is not available.
- The ERH benefit is being offered for a limited time in a limited area to test the efficacy of real-time rideshare and TNCs.
- Users are entitled to eight ERH promo codes per year.
- ERH promo codes are valid for one year and cannot be carried over to the next year.
- Users may enroll in Redmond Real-time Rideshare with iCarpool Emergency Ride Home Program and the Emergency Ride Home Program through their personal RideshareOnline.com account.
- When the user enrolls they will receive a confirmation email from the program administrator that includes the first ERH promo code.
- User must save the code in a safe place such as an email account, smartphone, or wallet.
- User must not load a promo code into the TNC app until they are ready to pay for an ERH ride.
- User is responsible for hailing their own TNC ride when they require an Emergency Ride Home.
- When the first code has been used, the user may request an additional code through RideshareOnline.com. The user will provide the date that they used their previous ERH promo code and describe the nature of the emergency in the request message.
- The program administrator will audit the user’s promo code use. If ERH promo codes are used on days when the user did not take an iCarpool rideshare trip, the user will be found to be in violation of the terms of the Program Guidelines. If ERH promo codes are used by someone other than the person originally issued the code, the user will be found to be in violation of the terms of the Program Guidelines. The program administrator may respond by sending a warning email. After three violations, the user will be banned from the program and will not receive any additional promo codes.
- To be eligible for the program the user must meet all of the following criteria:
- User works in the Southeast Redmond or Willows Road areas.
- User uses the iCarpool ridematching app as a rider.
- User registered for RideshareOnline.com and a member of the “Redmond Real-Time Rideshare with iCarpool” network.
- User has linked their iCarpool account to their RideshareOnline.com account.
- User has enrolled in the Emergency Ride Home module in RideshareOnline.com.
- Users may only use Emergency Ride Home TNC promo codes when the following two criteria are met:
- The user rode with an iCarpool rideshare for a trip earlier in the day and that trip was calendared in the user’s RideshareOnline.com account (trips are calendared automatically when accounts are linked) and they could not find an iCarpool rideshare return trip.
- The user requires an Emergency Ride Home for one of the following reasons:
- There are no iCarpool rideshare rides available at the time the user wishes to return home. This includes incidences when the user must work late at a supervisor’s request but does not include early dismissal.
- The user is experiencing a Qualified Emergency, limited to the following situations:
- Medical emergency (user or user’s family)
- School or childcare emergency (user’s children)
- Serious personal crisis (user or user’s family)
- The ERH trip must originate within the Southeast Redmond or Willows Road areas.
- The ERH trip destination shall be one of the following:
- User’s home
- User’s vehicle (such as at a Park-and-Ride)
- User’s child’s childcare or school facility
- Medical facility
- ERH trips may make a stop on the way to an eligible trip destination (6.3) to pick up a user’s family member.
- Users are responsible for the following tasks:
- Linking their personal iCarpool account to RideshareOnline.com account profile.
- Enrolling in the ERH program on RideshareOnline.com.
- Indicating their preference of TNC codes, Uber or Lyft.
- Storing the ERH promo codes in a safe place such as an email account or wallet.
- Downloading the TNC app they wish to use.
- Hailing a TNC ride when they require an Emergency Ride Home.
- Paying the TNC driver with their promo code at the time the ride is given.
- Paying the difference if the ride exceeds 60 miles or $100, whichever comes first.
- Paying for a tip with their own money, not the ERH promo code. Typically tip amounts are 10-20% of the cost of the ride. Tipping is optional.
- Requesting an additional ERH promo code on RideshareOnline.com after they have used the first code. In the request the user will indicate the date of the use of the previous promo code and the nature of the emergency.
- The administrator shall:
- Review ERH enrollment requests at least once a week.
- Accept the enrollment requests if the user has not been found to be a program violator in the past.
- Provide users with valid promo codes, program information, and program guidelines.
- Answer questions about the ERH program.
- Track promo code distribution and user enrollment.
- Audit promo code usage and iCarpool rideshare calendars for RideshareOnline users.
- Send warnings to program violators.
- Cancel promo codes of repeat program violators.
- Forward TNC invoices to Alternative Services in Market Development.
- Report quarterly on program enrollments, violations, and expenses.
- The administrator is not responsible for arranging rides or adjudicating disputes between Transportation Network Companies and users. TNC drivers are independent contractors and King County Metro, iCarpool, and the City of Redmond are not responsible for driver quality or conduct.
- Violations of the Redmond Real-time Rideshare with iCarpool Emergency Ride Home Program Guidelines will result in warnings and/or dismissal.
- Program violations will be tracked and multiple violations may result in cancellation of ERH promo codes without notice.
- The following situations are considered violations of the Redmond Real-time Rideshare with iCarpool Emergency Ride Home Program:
- Using an ERH promo code on a day when the in-bound trip was taken using a mode other than an iCarpool rideshare (iCarpool rides must be calendared in RideshareOnline.com).
- Using an ERH promo code to take a TNC ERH when the user could have otherwise taken an iCarpool rideshare.
- Using an ERH promo code to attend to a non-emergency mid-day personal errand such as: shopping, planned medical appointments, work meetings, haircuts, trips to the airport, planned overtime, etc.
- Selling or giving an ERH promo code to another individual.
- Local Calls: 206-625-4500
- Toll Free: 1-800-427-8249
- TTY Relay: 1-800-833-6388
- Fax: 206-684-2166
201 S Jackson St
Seattle, WA 98104-0770
Accessible commuter vans are available to groups upon request; TTY users, please dial your relay service at 7-1-1 to get in touch with rideshare staff (available 8 a.m.to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday); RideshareOnline.com translation service available to ESL customers via a conference by calling 206-625-4500 (available 8 a.m.to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday).
Use the information listed below if you have any questions or problems regarding the following:
- Emergency Ride Home program, please send an email.
- RideshareOnline.com, please send an email or call Customer Assistance line at 206-625-4500.
- Uber or Lyft or with an Uber of Lyft driver, please contact the Uber or Lyft complaint departments. King County Metro and the City of Redmond are not responsible for the conduct of Uber or Lyft drivers. Checking driver user reviews before accepting a ride is recommended. Never get in a car if you feel uncomfortable with the driver.
- iCarpool app or an iCarpool driver, please use iCarpool's contact form.