Safety Tips When Using Metro
Get There Safely
You can help improve safety by following these common sense rules:
- Never attempt to board a moving bus. Never run after a bus, or alongside a bus to get it to stop. Drivers turn their attention to the road and traffic once the bus is moving. They may not be able to see you, and you could be putting yourself and others at serious risk.
- Do not cross in front of a Metro bus at a bus stop. Wait until the bus leaves the stop, and then cross carefully.
- Please allow passengers to exit the bus before you board.
- If you are standing in the bus, hang onto the handrails provided in the event the bus makes a quick stop.
- On crowded buses, please move to the back of the bus to make room for others.
- Stand behind the yellow line on the floor next to the driver's station. This helps give drivers as much visibility as possible.
- Stay clear of the doors.
- Avoid standing in the stairwells.
- Keep the aisles clear.
- Keep your head, arms and all objects inside bus windows.
- Signal the bus driver at least one block before your stop so he or she has sufficient time to stop smoothly.
- Hold onto the railing when exiting the bus. Bus steps and sidewalks can become slippery from rain.
- As you leave the bus, watch for cars.
- All Metro buses are equipped with lifts or ramps at the front door.
- Each bus stop is clearly identified as to its accessibility.
- Alert the driver to deploy the lift or ramp.
- Wheelchair and scooter users have designated areas reserved at the front of the bus
- Please allow the driver to secure wheelchairs.
- Metro's Rider Information Office can help you determine the level of accessibility at a specific stop.
- Metro's Online Trip Planner lets you plan trips requiring accessible stops.
- Alert the driver before using the bicycle rack.
- Always load your bike from the curbside of the bus.
- Sit near the front of the bus and watch your bike. Metro is not responsible for stolen bikes.
- No bicycle loading and unloading is allowed in downtown Seattle's Ride Free Area between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m., except at a route's first and last ride free stop.
- In the Metro bus tunnel, bike loading and unloading is allowed only at Convention Place and International District stations. Do NOT use the escalators to transport your bike to and from the platforms. Please use the elevators.
Read more about bicycles on buses.