Bikes & SR-520
The State Route 520 Evergreen Point Floating Bridge across Lake Washington has no bicycle or pedestrian access.
However, all King County Metro and Sound Transit buses that cross SR-520 make stops to accommodate bicyclists. The most convenient stops are: Montlake Freeway Station and Evergreen Point. Fares are collected on all in-service buses. For fare information, see Metro's Fares & ORCA page or Sound Transit's Fares & Passes.
The pilot project providing free service across the SR-520 floating bridge on out-of-service buses will remain in effect at least until SR 520 bike lanes fully open (anticipated mid-2017).
Please be aware that out-of-service buses do not operate on a fixed schedule and there are fewer of them on weekends. Their schedules are not published, posted, tracked, or guaranteed.
The SR-520 ride free pilot project also provides free service across the bridge for bicyclists and other transit customers on out-of-service Metro and Sound Transit buses.
Bicyclists and other transit customers can ride free across the SR-520 Evergreen Point Bridge:
- On out-of-service Metro and Sound Transit buses.
- Between Montlake and Evergreen Point only.
- In either direction, eastbound or westbound.
Out-of-service buses will display one of these destination signs:
- Bellevue Base
- East Base
In general, the majority of out-of-service buses are:
- Eastbound between Montlake and Evergreen Point during weekday morning peak commuting hours.
- Westbound between Evergreen Point and Montlake during weekday morning and afternoon peak commuting hours.